Monday, June 8, 2009

Quinoa

I have a new fetish.. it's called quinoa *if you have never heard of that, it's pronounced keen-wah. And it's G-O-O-D! I've seen it at a few grocery stores, but it's outrageously expensive I think. I bought a 50-pound bag of it from Walton Feed for I believe $55.00. If you would like to try it, let me know and you can try some of mine before you invest in it. It's supposedly the SUPERGRAIN of the grains. It has three times as much calcium and twice as much phosphorus as wheat, and supposedly if you eat it while you are pregnant regularly, you'll have an ample supply of milk-

I love it because
A: it tastes way good
B: it cooks very quickly
C: it's nutritious.

My sister was excited to try quinoa and cooked it just like oatmeal, ate it, almost threw up, and never touched it again. Until I told her you have to rinse it until the bitter smell is gone, then cook it. Bring it to a boil in twice the amount of water as quinoa, simmer 15 minutes.. serve.

Here's a recipe:
quinoa
sweet potatoes
coconut oil
sea salt

Cube your peeled sweet potatoes into small cubes, toss until evenly coated in a couple tablespoons coconut oil (or olive oil-both way good), put on a cookie sheet, sprinkle with salt, and roast for 20-25 minutes. Once the potatoes are done, layer the top of of a bowl of quinoa and serve. Slap this together with a fresh salad and you've got dinner folks!

Enjoy.. let me know if you like it.

1 comment:

  1. Jen Cragun made this for dinner and let me taste it! YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete