Friday, January 28, 2011

How to cook oatmeal


Days that I am feeling way ambitious I pull out the oat groats and Marga Mill (pictured above) and roll my own. Days I am in a hurry, I use quick oats. Supposedly it is more nutritious to mill your own because once the oat groats are broken open, the nutrient content goes down just like wheat flour. You can read about it rolling your own oats and purchase a Marga Mill here.

1 3/4 cup water
dash of salt
1 cup oatmeal

Boil water and salt. Add oats and bring to boil. Once it is boiling, turn heat to low, put a lid on it and set your timer for 5 minutes. It is done when the water is absorbed and it is chewy.

P.S. Has anybody had success soaking their oatmeal for 24 hours? I tried with kefir and it tasted like.. well, let's just say we threw it away! I read about it here.


1 comment:

  1. I have not yet tried making oatmeal with my Marga Mill. But, I know it makes beautiful Germade cereal. :o)

    Cheryl

    http://ldsmomtomany.blogspot.com/2011/01/marga-mill-review.html

    ReplyDelete