Wednesday, March 4, 2009

HEALTHY but TASTY Banana Nut Bread


Wow! I am eating a piece of this as we speak, and all I can say is.. ROCK ON!
I have recently been diagnosed with candida, which has put me on a no white flour, no white rice, no sugar diet. Plus I am lactose intolerant, and I'm pretty sure I'm allergic to eggs. Anyone else have these issues? So I have been finding recipes that will suit this, and this has been my favorite so far!

I modified a recipe from allrecipes.com, and this is what I came up with:

1/3 cup applesauce (100% natural, unsweetened of course :)
1/2 cup honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs (I substituted 1 tsp. of ground flax seed + 1/4 cup water blended in blender for each egg)
1 cup mashed bananas
1 3/4 cup WHOLE WHEAT flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup hot water
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

1. Preheat oven to 325.
2. In a large bowl, beat applesauce and honey together. Add eggs/flax mix and mix well. Stir in bananas and vanilla. Stir in flour and salt. Add baking soda to hot water, stir to mix, and then add to batter. Blend in chopped nuts. Put in loaf pan. I always have issues making banana bread cook in the middle and not burn on the outside, so I put it in two small loaf pans and it worked great.
3. Bake for 55 to 60 minutes. Cool on wire rack for 1/2 hour before slicing (if you can!)

2 comments:

  1. I am sorry!! I think that looks great I will need to try that. I just need to eat better anyway. I need to go off those things anyway. I am always looking for healthy recipes. I'll keep checking

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must say I have quite a lovely Banana Bread recipe that I always make...but that's very tempting. I think I'm going to have to try that one with the bananas that are sitting on my counter waiting to get just about ripe enough.

    ReplyDelete