Monday, March 16, 2009

The Honey Issue

I knew I could get honey cheaper than this (I paid $35 for 12 lbs.), but I also was interested in pure, raw, natural honey. Is there really a difference? Yes there is. I bought my honey from a place called Country Meadow's Wildflower Honey in Hooper, Utah. I have read that pure, raw, natural honey is not filtered. Which means that it contains small amounts of pollen-but don't be scared, that's supposed to be good. Pollen contains a lot of nutrients, such as: twenty-two amino acids, twenty-five minerals, and twelve vitamins. Also, this honey is organic so there's no pesticides. So.. I feel good about my purchase. Speaking of pesticides-I just haven't dove over to the EVERYTHING organic phase. I think I actually am getting there slowly, and I would love to do that, but inch by inch, right? A man that grows grins told me that he would never buy organic grains because since they don't have pesticides, there is animal poop and gross stuff in it, but I think I would rather have that (and not know about it :) instead of toxic pesticides. I don't know. I haven't died yet, so I just have to be content with what I have right now, and then maybe switch over in the future.

So here is a reference for you when substituting honey in sugar for baking:

Honey has a greater sweeting power than sugar. Twelve ounces (Weight) of Honey equals one standard measuring cup. In baked goods, reduce the amount of liquid by 1/4 cup for each cup of honey used; add 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda for each cup of honey used; reduce the oven temperature by 25 degrees to prevent overbrowning. For easy removal spray the measuring cup with non-stick cooking spray or oil before adding honey.

Next post:
Why white sugar and white flour are so NOT good for us-

1 comment:

  1. I get mine from a gentleman who I work with. He has his own bees and I know he doesn't water it down. The only problem is it is hard to get a lot all at once.

    ReplyDelete