Thursday, April 2, 2009

Healthy Trash

Let me just say this: my garbage has been a huge stress to me, until now. I always felt bad for using so much trash, but I have a new system:

Trash 1: We have a LOT of produce at our house! So my first trash is actually on my counter. Sounds gross, right? It's a bowl with a tight-fitting lid. It is where all my plant based garbage goes: peels from veggies, cores from apples, egg shells, beans, etc. I empty this (actually my 5-year old does this job) every day into my compost outside. That is saved for my garden soil.

Trash 2: This is where all my papers and washed out plastics go. We now have a recycling bin (yay) in town so once a week (or when my husband is sick of it overflowing) I take it to town.

Trash 3: This is where everything else goes. We have gone from kicking ourselves every Thursday morning for not taking the trash out the night before, to maybe MAYBE every 3 weeks we take the BIG BLACK BUG (aka big garbage) to the curb for emptying.

That's it-easy as pie

No comments:

Post a Comment