Thursday, February 12, 2009

Purpose of the Blog

Food Facts
OK. I want to start off this post by saying that 6 months ago, I felt like our family ate pretty healthy. I've never been into prepared foods, etc. I never really wanted to feed my kids macaroni and cheese, ramen noodles, spaghettios (you know.. kid foods). Well then I realized I needed to chill out a little bit or else my kids would be all psycho about food. Then our money was super tight and I didn't feel like there was any other options except to buy food like this unless we wanted potato soup every single night. Not that it was a daily thing, but it was becoming more frequent. I felt frustrated because I knew I wasn't giving them the nutrients they needed. I love nutrition. I feel like what we put into our bodies makes us who we are physically and mentally. I'm a completely different person when I am eating real live food instead of food that's been on shelves for months and months. So are my kids. That being said, I've decided that no it doesn't have to be this way. I went back to "What did pioneers eat?" Which brings me to my point of the post. In the past 3 or 4 months, I've taken upon myself a personal quest to feed my family healthy foods, significantly lower our budget on food, and get and use our food storage. The only thing I knew what to do with wheat was make wheat berries and bread. I didn't even know how to make bread really, I just knew I could if I needed to. I have always depended on my mom for a lot of things: sewing, making bread (she's awesome at making bread), etc. But I have had so much fun learning these things for myself. I feel a lot more prepared to be a homemaker.

So: that being said, I am sure I know so little compared to what many people know, but I feel like I am to a place where I wouldn't have to go to the grocery store for weeks because of the things I've learned to do with my food storage. So I wanted to post ideas and tips. I love reading blogs where I learn things. So maybe you can learn something from what I've learned. Maybe not!

WHEAT
Doesn't the Doctrine and Covenants say that grains are the staff of life? I've learned so much about wheat that is so awesome. Cook it as wheat berries and it is good for breakfast. Sprout it and it is good for salads or a snack, grow it into wheat grass and it's actually a vegetable. It's so versatile, cheap, and easy to make.

So here is how to make wheat berries:
Put 2 cups of wheat (just plain old wheat) in a saucepan. Cover with water and add two more inches. Bring to a boil, then turn down to simmer for 1 hour. Drain the water off, and there you go. You can eat these just like oatmeal. We add honey and milk, brown sugar and milk, or yogurt and granola. It's a very healthy way to eat carbs :) There you go... easy, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment