Friday, February 13, 2009

Wheat Prices

So knowing my tax return was coming soon, I've been pricing wheat.  Here are my results:

Macey's:
red or white: $29.99 for 50 lbs.  

Walton Feed:  
red:  $15.50 for 50 lbs.
white: $17.05 for 50 lbs.

Farmer in Malad: $20 for 50 lb.

LDS Cannery: 
hard white: $7.40 for 25 lbs/$14.80 for 50 lbs.
hard red: $6.05 25 lbs/$12.10 for 50 lbs.

I chose the cannery, naturally.. plus I got to try out a Marcato Marga Roller Mill.  I've totally been wanting one.  It doesn't grind flour, but it cracks or flakes it.  I would really like one to make baby food.  For example, OAT GROATS are the least-processed form of oats, straight off the plant.  I have gotten them at Walton Feed in Montpelier, Idaho.  So you can take oat groats (they look a lot like wheat), put them in the Marga Mill, crank 'em through, and have your own fresh oatmeal every morning completely unprocessed!

To see what it is, here is the link: Marga Mill

I feel my day has been successful.  I came home with 350 lbs. of white, and 350 lbs. of red.  It's the best $200 I've ever spent -  There's nothing my minivan cannot bring home!

2 comments: