Friday, January 22, 2010

Mormon Muffins

2 c. boiling water
5 tsp. baking soda
I have to be honest. I have not been as good as I should about no wheat/no dairy/no sugar since Halloween. And believe me my butt can tell! But I am slowly getting back on the wagon. It's funny to me that this recipe (the original one) used to seem healthy because it had bran flakes and all-bran. There is always room for improvement I guess!

1 cup coconut oil (originally 1 cup shortening)
1 1/3 cup honey (originally 2 cups sugar)
4 eggs *I used free range
5 cups whole wheat flour (originally 5 cups regular flour)
1 tsp. salt
1 qt. buttermilk * I used raw milk with 4 TBSP. lemon juice
4 cups All-bran
2 c. bran flakes
1 c. chopped walnuts

Combine water and baking soda; stir until dissolved. Cool. In a mixing bowl, cream together coconut oil and honey. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine flour and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Mix well. Beat in the water mixture. Fold in cereal and nuts. Fill muffin tin 3/4 full, and bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes, or until muffins test done.

Makes 4 dozen muffins.

NOTE: Muffin batter will keep in refrigerator for 1 week.

This was adapted obviously and these are so good I wanted to make them for my family, but not with shortening/white flour/white sugar. So it was a trial and everyone loved them! I am so happy when I don't spend an hour making something just to throw it away :)

No comments:

Post a Comment